xri message

Subject: [xri] Notice: Proposed change to Charter IPR language

XRI Members:

	Recently, we adopted language in the charter recognizing our VERY
strong desire to produce only RF specs. This newly adopted language was sent
to Karl Best at Oasis who notified us that the language we adopted was not
accepted IPR language and that there was alternate language that had been
previously accepted to effectuate RF terms for a TC. For this reason, he was
unable to accept our proposed charter revision.

	Thus, we are hereby proposing to replace our IPR paragraph with the
approved one (both listed below). Adoption of this text will (I expect) be
an agenda item at the F2F. If anyone has strong disagreements with the new
language, please speak up now, ON THE EMAIL LIST IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. I
believe it (albeit through indirect means) satisfactorily expresses our
intent to produce only RF specifications.

	-Gabe

-------------------------------
OLD TEXT

"It is the intention of this TC to release all specifications under RF
terms and thus to only accept official submissions made under those
terms. Nothing in this statement is meant to prevent or hinder the TC
from evaluating and investigating complementary technologies or preclude
this TC from detailing how its specifications can be used within other
specifications that may not be provided under RF terms."
--------------------------------

NEW TEXT (OASIS-approved language)

"In no event shall this Technical Committee finalize or approve any
technical specification if it believes that the use, distribution, or
implementation of such specification would necessarily require the
unauthorized infringement of any third party rights known to the
Technical Committee, and such third party has not agreed to provide
necessary license rights on perpetual, royalty-free, non-discriminatory
terms."