xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] [Glossary] Definition of "Resource" and "Attribute"

Mike,

Good point, use cases always help clarify terms. In fact here's a good one
from the IETF ResCap spec
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rescap-req-01.txt) that also
happens to include its own definition of attribute:

"An attribute is a named characteristic of a resource identifier with a
value that is meaningful in the context in which it is used.  An example of
an attribute might be a content type that an email address is capable of
receiving."

Note the phrase, "meaningful in the context in which it is used". That means
the attribute "content type that an email address is capable of receiving"
is an attribute of the resource "email address".

So the use case is that a user agent such as a mail client wants to retreive
an attribute - the supported content types - of a resource - an email
address. While the abstract concept "supported content types" could be a
resource on its own, being able to resolve the abstract concept "supported
content types" as a resource doesn't do the user agent any good unless it
wants to know something about the schema of "supported content types" - such
as the enumerations of MIME types.

But in this case what the user agent needs is the supported content types of
a specific email address - joe@example.com. This specific set of supported
content types supported by joe@example.com can ONLY be identified in the
context of that specific resource.

So maybe I should modify my proposed definition of "attribute" along the
lines of the one provided in ResCap:

	"An attribute is an identifiable characteristic of a resource whose
value is meaningful in the context of the resource it describes."

=Drummond