xri message

Subject: Very short summary of I18N and URIs (IRI)

What is IRI?
===========
IRI is the internationalization/internationalisation (I18N) of URI.
To I18Nize the URI, much of the characters constraint was removed from URI.
IRI is meant to be human readable/pronounceable. Thus, its primary format is
not an escaped form but in full native characters form.

What is special about IRI?
========================
Unlike XML related requirements, in which internationalized URI is to be
expressed always in UTF-8 or its escaped form regardless of the context
(e.g., document that embeds the URI), IRI recommends the IRI to be used in
the same character set as in the underlying context. Thus, in a EUC-JP
encoded document, IRI should be expressed in EUC-JP also so that the IRI can
be read as Japanese text in the document.
This means that the translation mechanism between these charset and UTF-8
must be defined. This is pretty straight forward as long as we remain in the
digital arena. However, translating the printed IRI to UTF-8 standard form
is not trivial because there can be multiple ways to represent the same
looking character in UTF-8. (e.g., 'e' with accent and 'e-acuter'
character). Thus, IRI recommends to put some restriction on this
translation, but not fully. My feeling is that it probably is going to be
left for each language sub-RFCs or something like that. (The restriction in
case of Japanese is pretty well defined in IRI document, however. It
probably reflects the length and knowledge accumulated in Japanese
information processing - we have been living with this problem for a long
time now.)
RTL (Right to left) and LTR (left to right) scripting issue and mixing of
those scripts are discussed and seems that it only deals with only one level
of embedding (which then Unicode algorithm can deal with.)
No mention of TTDRTL (Top To Down Right to Left) and TTDLTR (the same with
left to right) and other scripting directions.

Relationship to URI
================
XRI to URI translation (escaping) is defined, so underlying existing system
can resort to URI.
However, the translation must happen as late as possible to avoid double
translation.

Relevance to XRI
Human readable form of XRI definitely needs to consider something similar to
IRI. The reserved characters may become slightly different from IRI. We
probably need to state those explicitly. Otherwise, we may be able to
utilize much of the IRI knowledge in XRI specification.