xri message

Subject: Line numbers notation.

[Strictly speaking, this is not neccesarily an issue we need to address in the spec, but for the interest of being pedantic, I'm going to continue this thread]

Peter-
	I was using the # as used in HTTP URLs -- I think this is somewhat unsettled, but generally the #'s interpreted outside the of the URL resolution itself - in other words its purely for use by the client. Thus, it depends on the media type involved. #53 was a made-up way of saying "line 53". But it seems to me to be consistent with the use of # in other URI types.

	If you use [:0.5#53], that actually seems (according to the current proposal, modified to use []) to be incorrect syntax. ':' means that everything following is a number dot-path. I think of the # to be outside any syntax we've yet defined. (Think of it as "lowest precedence operator").

	So [:0.5] means version 0.5, and [:0.5]#53 means "part 53 of version 0.5". I think this is one of those cases where obviousness is in the eye of the beholder ;-) I think my proposal is more regular w/r/t to the entire XRI (and even URI) syntax - maybe a little less intuitive when used separate from a XRI/URI though.

	-Gabe