xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] versioning of authirity section

Even though XRIs don't always need to resolve, I tend to think of the modal case as being URIs that do resolve.  If versioning can be applied to name authorities, I definitely agree that we need to pay close attention to the details of what that means and how resolution is specified/handled.

Would you go so far as to version parts of the name authority?  For example:

   host[;2002-04-01T20:10:23Z].foo.biz/this/resource

My sense is that using versioning on parts of a DNS name might complicate things more that it would be worth.  Such a feature might be easier to implement with name authorties that don't use DNS names (since we are creating a new resolution mechanism for those anyway).  Thoughts?

Mike