xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] XRI Names and XRI Addresses

>My one suggestion after chewing on this over the weekend is that we
>might want to use the modifier "persistent" when talking about XRI
>addresses because that is what so significantly distinguishes them from
>IP addresses (or any form of name, whether a DNS name or an XRI name).
>So from an Internet resolution standpoint the four possible layers would
>be:
>
>* XRI name
>* XRI persistent address
>* DNS name
>* IP address
>
>You can skip a layer any time a resource doesn't need the features of
>that layer, i.e., an XRI name can refer directly to a URI or an IP
>address if the resource does not need a persistent identifier, or an XRI
>persistent address can refer directly to an IP address if it doesn't
>need a DNS name.

I have concerns with layering "persistent" or more clearly
"non-reassignable" [1] addresses over the DNS, which IS re-assignable
(as are IP addresses for that matter).perhaps your intent was
informative rather than "normative" ;-)  at any rate, while the analogy
with the DNS and IP addressing is usfull in an informative sense, I'd
suggest we avoid discussing reassignable layers under persitant ones.

Or did i simply miss your point?

--- peterd

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/email/archives/200305/msg00013.html