xri message

Subject: Explicitly non-resolvable XRIs

There’s a desire to provide syntax that marks an XRI as explicitly unresolvable. Draft-06 includes a bang “!” character in the authority-part production for this purpose. As noted in the issues list, this causes several problems with XRIs that contain a URI-authority. For example, software that knows how to handle generic URIs will see the ! as part of the server component (most likely the hostname component), where it’s an illegal character. I’m suggesting we define a different scheme, xrin, that’s identical to xri except that it explicitly disallows resolution. Thoughts or comments?

Dave