xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Explicitly non-resolvable XRIs

Marc may be on to something if we use a $ tag for non-resolvability and
you treat the entire xri it describes as an xref.

Let's say "$$" is the non-resolvable tag. Then

xri:$$.(xri:@foo.bar.baz/:1234)

would say that "the xri "xri:@foo.bar.baz/:1234" is non-resolvable" (in
the context of the enclosing xri).

This is cool because xri:@foo.bar.baz/:1234 by itself COULD be
resolvable. And there is no conflict in this (similar to Dave's
suggestion of a separate scheme).

This would also clarifies our equivalence issue. Because the metadata
"$$" clearly describes the xri "xri:@foo.bar.baz/:1234", we distinguish
equivalence at the non-metadata level from equivalence at the metadata
level, which is the point I was making on the TC call yesterday (the two
are apples and oranges, and you can't have equivalence rules that cross
these two levels).

I like this because "$$" would become the universal tag for any form of
XRI that was not intended to be resolved, but had some other purpose
(such as a processing instruction). It could describe an entire XRI, or
just describe an xref segment within an XRI.

=Drummond