xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] I18n and $ tags (on the $l and $f proposals)

The reason $f beside $l came up was that to represent the octet stream in a human readable fashion, Unicode and hence ISO 10464 requires following information:

1.       Actual octet stream

2.       Language

3.       Glyph selector

4.       Font

I know, this sounds like a sick joke, but this is the reality.

(That’s why I was grumbling earlier that I wish we had DIS 10464 ver.1 as the ISO standard.)

I believe we can go pretty far with only 1 and 2, but I do not want to pretend that I know the problems other languages will encounter, so it is better to leave some room to preserve original amount of information. You are right, it might not be used very often in the real life, but some people may need it. Then, why should we remove it?

As far as the equivalence is concerned, I believe that we should be comparing either the actual octet stream itself or the terminal outcome of the resolution. Equivalence is another huge topic involving the normalization, which may be even harder than multi-lingalization itself. I would even go forward and say that equivalence should not be dealing with normalization, but that might be a little too extreme. I suspect normalization will be a nightmare for the implementers, because one has to have a mapping between the composed form and decomposed form, and of course, you need the language and context information for this to happen. Also, when a new composed form is added, one has to add it to the mappings. It sounds too difficult to me.

Nat