xri message

Subject: FW: [xri] Groups - wd-xri-faq-01.doc uploaded

Guys, my initial read through reaction is FABULOUS. You took a real
rough first pass and turned it into a near-final doc. Dave needs some
typo fixing and other minor tweaks but the only bigger issues I saw
were:

In the first question: "XRI creates a new URI scheme...". We say
explicitly in the spec that this isn't so, only that it's a new
"URI-compatible identifier scheme" because an XRI without transformation
to URI normal form is not technically a URI.

Second question, fifth bullet: However, cross references can be used as
namespace roots...". I would add the word "also", i.e., "However, cross
references can be also be used as namespace roots..." . This avoids
making it sound like the choice is either/or (in other words, XRIs
support both GCS symbols and cross-references as global authorities).

First technical question: The following, "XRIs are structured similarly
to HTTP URIs in that there is an "authority" segment (the initial
segment between the leading "/" (or "//") and the next "/" (or end of
the identifier if there is no next "/")..." needs some work. How about,
"XRIs are structured similarly to HTTP URIs in that there is an
"authority" segment (the initial segment that begins with "//" and ends
with the next "/" or end of the identifier if there is no following
"/"),..."

Great job, Gabe and Mike. Dave, go for it.

=Drummond