xri message

Subject: New members and new action items

XRI TC Members and Observers:

After a period of relative quiet (because many TC members were either off
implementing or off working on related specifications, such as XDI), its
time for the XRI TC to get busy again. Besides several additional
deliverables, we also have issues relating to a revision of XRI 1.0.

But first Gabe and I would like to welcome some new members to the XRI TC.
Given that we do not hold regularly scheduled meetings, but rather maintain
membership through participation in online votes, by OASIS rules
participants who joined the TC as prospective members automatically become
new members after a 60 day waiting period. The following OASIS members have
fulfilled this requirement and are now voting members of the TC:

Mr. Ajay Madhok (AmSoft)
Dr. Jean-Jacques Dubray (Attachmate)
William Chan (Individual)
Mr. Owen Davis (PlaNetwork)
Mr. Victor Grey (PlaNetwork)
Mr. Fen Labalme (PlaNetwork)

NEXT DELIVERABLES

The XRI TC charter calls for three additional deliverables besides the XRI
Generic Syntax and Resolution Specification: 1) the XRI Trusted Resolution
Specification, 2) the XRI Metadata Specification, and 3) the XRI Primer. The
current status on these deliverables is:

1) A first draft of XRI Trusted Resolution was submitted by Editor's SC
chair Dave McAlpin in March (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/download.php/5916/xri-synta
x-resolution-1.0-errata.doc). Discussion of issues with this draft is still
ongoing - I'll leave it to Dave to provide further update and a projection
for a second draft.

2) Work was begun on the XRI Metadata spec by Gabe Wachob and Mike Lindelsee
and then handed off to me, who has since sat on it simply due to
insufficient time to complete the draft and submit it. I would like to renew
my commitment to complete the first draft and submit to the TC by Friday
June 25.

3) A preliminary outline of the XRI Primer has been developed but this work
was then given lower priority until the other related specifications could
be completed, especially since the XRI FAQ that was completed in early
February (to accompany the announcement of the XRI 1.0 specification) has
been an adequate stand-in. Due to the need for the Primer to reflect content
in the Metadata and Trusted Res specifications, plus the potential for a
revision to XRI 1.0 as discussed below, it is suggested that this be delayed
until these other specs are ready.

POTENTIAL REVISION TO XRI 1.0

The XRI TC charter also specifies that we will issue any required updates to
our specifications, including the XRI Generic Syntax and Resolution
Specification v1.0 approved as a Committee Draft in January. The TC members
discussed and anticipated that a revision may be necessary on the basis of
1.0 implementation feedback. That is proving to be true. In addition, other
issues have arisen based on changes to related URI specifications.

I'll defer to Editor's SC Chair Dave McAlpin to send email with further
details. Gabe and I propose that we begin with on-list discussion of these
issues, then determine a workplan and timeframe for a revision to 1.0.

Again, thank you for participating in the XRI TC, and we look forward to
your involvement in this new round of XRI specification activity.

=Drummond
Drummond Reed, CTO, Cordance Corp.
Co-Chair, OASIS XRI and XDI TCs