xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Problem with XRI 1.0 syntax

Drummond Reed wrote:
> Given that we already have defined roles for many of these reserved
> characters, our available choices for the second level separator are:
>
>       "&"   "'"   "*"   ","   ";"
>
> The other possiblity is to reassign a currently used character, such as
> the GCS character for annotations, "!".

"'" is too confusing
"," is too easily mistaken as a '.' (dot)
";" is too easily mistaken as a ":" (colon)
"!" is already used for annotations and (according to a user survey) has
bad (negative) connotations

That leaves "&" and "*".  Personally, I like splat ("*") as it's
eye-catching, which is what it should be given its importance.  Also, as
"&" is used in fragments, "*" may be less confusing, too.

My $0.02,
Fen