xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] * and / discussion

Peter-
	I think you are responding to my "why define anything to the right of the first slash" question. I understand your response, and appreciate the approach.
	However, RFC2396 is very explicit about the concept of path separation. So while I would argue that we don't have to define the semantics of path separation, its a useful concept for building structure in an XRI beyond just seperating the ID Authority from the local party.
	I guess at the end of the day, I don't see why we are retreating on treating '/' specially. RFC2396 treats '/' specially without defining how '/' is interpreted from scheme to scheme except by defining a (very imporant) de-relativizing algorithm. That alone is a reason not to treat '/' as some random character, or even as an equivalent character to '*'. I intend to use XRIs where URIs are specified, so I expect a generic URI parser to have some reasonable chance of success in dealing with them. Thus, '/' should be treated by us in the same way that it is treated in RFC 2396 (and -bis).

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards