xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] * and / discussion

Gabe, I agree with you that it would be good not to run "against the grain"
with regards to '/'. The ubiquitous support for hierarchy in RFC2396 is a
good reason to do that.

You go on to say, "That alone is a reason not to treat '/' as some random
character, or even as an equivalent character to '*'."

I agree with the first half of that statement, but I question the second
half. I believe we can preserve all the meaning that 2396 gives to slash
without diluting any of the meaning that XRI 1.x would give to star. As
Victor points out, giving peer links a clear syntactic expression in XRIs
could emerge (right along with cross-references, I'd argue) as the most
groundbreaking feature of XRI syntax.

I also believe this can be accomplished, if necessary, by still giving slash
segments "first precedence" as they have in 2396. But if we do that, star
segments should have second precedence, such as shown in the BNF at
http://xrixdi.idcommons.net/moin.cgi/ProposedXriSyntaxRevision#head-9def29be
b72d5abb3941723f3492e6c9c58fa03c.

Let me illustrate this syntax with the following XRIs. The first two are
equivalent, with the only difference being that one uses e-names and one
e-numbers:

@ID.Commons*Mary.Smith/(+email)/(+work)/($v3)
@:1001*:398587/(+:14)/(+:32)/($:v3)

You can read either of these two XRIs for slash segments or star segments.
For slash segments, all 2396 rules apply. The part before the first slash is
the XRI authority segment, and delegation between XRI identifier authorities
is handled with star segments (just like dot segments in XRI 1.0). E-numbers
are signified by a colon prefixing any segment value.

But you can also read these XRIs for the star segments. Both of them have
one star segment following the first star. All that star segment tells you
is that you are switching from one hierarchy (defined by @ID.Commons) to
another one (defined by the resource that @ID.Commons knows as "Mary.Smith")

Here's another one:

=Mary.Smith/(@ID.Commons)*(/($contract)/(+employee)/($v2))*
	(/(+phone)/(+home)/($v3))

This XRI has two star segments, both after the first slash. Again, the only
thing you can read into these at the XRI syntax level is that when reach a
star, you are switching from one hierarchy (e.g.,
"=Mary.Smith/(@ID.Commons)") to another (e.g.,
"/($contract)/(+employee)/($v2)").

Conclusion: star syntax need not conflict with slash syntax. If the
conclusion of the TC is that slash segments should still have their same
hierarchical meaning as in 2396 (where the path component of 2396bisv6 is
called the "hier-part"), then we can retain that. From this perspective,
star segments will simply add another optional level of syntactic expression
to those XRI authors and applications that want to use them.

=Drummond