xri message

Subject: Issue 0: Replacing the "." character with "*"

Its time to have a last call for discusson on this issue before we hold a vote.

The proposal is to replace the "." character with "*" as a subsegment separator. There is a related issue (issue 1 - email coming right after this one) of changing the interpretation of this subsegment separator, and I wanted both discussions  to overlap a bit to make sure the full context of the change is understood. However, I think the "." to "*" switch is probably going to get wide consensus at this point, and I hope to hold a vote on this soon.

That being said, does anyone still want to discuss:

a) not changing the "." character at all (though this would conflict with our last vote to track 2396bis)
-or-
b) change to another character ?

If so, PLEASE SAY SO NOW.

If nobody speaks up in the next week or so, I'll propose that we hold a formal vote on the "." to "*" conversion and move to issue 1 and beyond.

	-Gabe

P.S. If anybody objects to the process we're using to address these issues, please feel free to let me know on or off-list.

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards
Visa International
Phone: +1.650.432.3696   Fax: +1.650.554.6817