xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Issue 1: Clarifying * Semantics

Title: RE: [xri] Issue 1: Clarifying * Semantics
I'm not very comfortable with the empty subsegment rule, at least outside the authority component. I don't think we'd make normative rules about empty segments, so it seems wrong to make rules about empty subsegments. And it seems odd to me that xri:@example/foo****bar is equivalent to xri:@example/foo*bar.

Anyway, I don't think we've shown a problem with the ruleset involving preceding delimiters.

Dave

From: Loren West [mailto:loren.west@epok.net]
Sent: Fri 7/9/2004 1:36 AM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org

If you don't like Dave's use of the word preceed, and want to consider
stars and colons as ALWAYS both sub-segment separators AND decorators,
then the rules look like this:

1) Slashes delimit segments
2) Stars delimit reassignable sub-segments
3) Colons delimit persistent sub-segments
4) Stars may be omitted before the first subsegment in a segment

-and- with both proposals, when writing a parser you have to specify
what to do with null sub-segments (is it an error?  if not, what do
you do?).  So, the existing syntax gets:

5) Null sub-segments can be disregarded

That handles the /:123/ issue where there are two sub-segments,
one null and one persistent.

And it's unclear with the new proposal if the same rule exists,
or an equally complex rule exists:

5) Null sub-segments indicate an XRI error condition

We're not talking about significant differences in complexity
of parser writing.  You have to handle a null sub-segment one
way or the other.  Throwing it away is just as simple (simpler?)
than dealing with it as an error condition.

I still maintain the existing syntax simpler than the proposed
syntax because the parsing rules are equally simple, HFI's are
exactly equivalent, and MFI's are simpler without multiple
characters before each sub-segment.

=Loren