xri message

Subject: Proposed definitions for i-name, i-number, XDI

In an earlier post I explained the rationale for the proposed addition of
the terms "i-name" and "i-number" to the XRI 1.1 glossary, but did not
supply the proposed definitions. They are:

i-name

A general term used to refer to a reassignable XRI; more specifically, an
XRI in which at least one sub-segment is reassignable.

i-number

A general term used to refer to a persistent XRI; more specifically, an XRI
in which all subsegments are persistent. Note that a persistent XRI is not
required to be a numeric value - it may be any text string meeting the XRI
ABNF requirements.

In addition, because of its relationship to XRI and OASIS, I propose
including a definition of XDI in the XRI 1.1 glossary as follows:

XDI (XRI Data Interchange)

A generalized, extensible service for sharing, linking, and synchronizing
data using XML documents and XRIs being developed by the OASIS XDI Technical
Committee. See http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xdi.

=Drummond