xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] an ambiguity in the ABNF

Mike, funny, but I was thinking about this myself last week when testing out
the simplified XRI 1.1 path proposal.

This problem actually existed in XRI 1.0 as well, because a relative XRI has
always been a legal XRI value, and a relative XRI could start with the same
characters as a URI/IRI. And in fact when we ran across the problem then, we
realized that it exists in URI syntax as well, because a relative URI can
start with the same chars as a URI scheme name.

So we solved it in XRI 1.0 the same way the original RFC2396 solved it by
including the following text in section 2.3.2:

***BEGIN QUOTE FROM XRI 1.0 SECTION 2.3.2***

[RFC2396] points out that relative URI references with an initial segment
containing a colon may be subject to two interpretations:

	"Authors should be aware that a path segment that contains a colon
character cannot be used as the first segment of a relative URI path (e.g.,
"this:that"), because it would be mistaken for a scheme name.

	"It is therefore necessary to precede such segments with other
segments (e.g., "./this:that") in order for them to be referenced as a
relative path."

Relative XRI references can be similarly misinterpreted. Therefore if any
segment prior to the first forward slash ("/") character in a relative XRI
reference contains a colon, the relative XRI reference must be rewritten to
begin either with a "." or a "./". Thus, "foo:bar" becomes ".foo:bar" or
"./foo:bar" and "foo.bar:baz" becomes ".foo.bar:baz" or "./foo.bar:baz".
Note that by the rules of sections 2.3.2 and 2.4.3, this transformation does
not affect equivalence.

***END QUOTE FROM XRI 1.0 SECTION 2.3.2***

With XRI 1.1, I'd suggest we keep the same solution, only due to our
increased alignment with RFC2396bis, we use only "./" as the prefix (since
"." alone will no longer have any special meaning in the path.)

=Drummond