xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] updated proposed XRI 1.1 ABNF

I was thinking about this same thing this morning. Take the XRI:

	xri://(urn:isbn:1054-31-2954)/foo

Since URI scheme names (and scheme paths like URN) use colons, which are not
allowed in an URI authority segment, we'll have to escape them. So in the
conversion to IRI normal form, the above will need to become:

	xri://(urn%3Aisbn%3A1054-31-2954)/foo

If this is the case, then Dave's suggestion might be the easiest way to go:
make colons legal in all segments in XRI normal form, and require their
escaping in IRI normal form.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave McAlpin [mailto:Dave.McAlpin@epok.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 3:26 PM
To: Lindelsee, Mike ; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

Mike,

You do a fair amount of work to avoid ":" in authority (in xri-subseg-nc
and xri-subseg-nc-od). I think we're doing this because ":" has defined
semantics in the authority part of a URI. We don't disallow "@",
however, which also has a defined meaning for URI authorities, and we
don't disallow "@" and ":" in xrefs that appear in an XRI authority.
Consequently we have to do some escaping in authority when we go from
XRI normal form to IRI normal form to blind out "@" and ":" (along with
other characters like "/", "?" and "#" that appear in xrefs).

Since we're already allowing ":" in an XRI authority via xref, along
with several other characters that can't appear in a URI authority, I'm
wondering if we shouldn't go ahead and define authority subsegments in
terms of xri-pchar rather than xri-achar and handle ":" in the transform
to IRI normal form.

Dave

Resolution:
> replace "segment" in the appropriate productions with "subseg".
>
> 4.  Support for authority-less XRIs.  E.g., xri:/foo.  Resolution:
Remove
> support for authority-less XRIs.
>
> 5.  Should we follow 2396bis and disallow "[" and "]" in the query and
> fragment productions? Resolution: Follow 2396bis.
>
> Two errors were also found in the ABNF and have been corrected.  The
first
> allowed an XRI authority that started with an xref to be followed by
> arbitrary characters (e.g., xri://(@foo)abc).  The second allowed a
> subsegment in an XRI authority to be composed of an arbitrary number
of
> characters and xrefs (e.g., xri://@foo.(@bar)abc(@xyz)def).  This
second
> error is related to issue number 2 above, but such behavior was never
> supposed to be allowed in the authority part of an XRI.
>
> Mike

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xri/members/leave_workgroup.php
.