xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] resolution of an xri from browser, keep in browser or seperate?

Thats a good question. Its not clear to me that there is one thing you'd do with XRIs within the context of a browser. XRIs identify resources, they don't imply specific application behavior. In fact, the same can be said of http or mailto URIs, except that everyone (except those nutty semantic web guys ;-) use HTTP and MAILTO uris in the same way, so there are standard behaviors associated with them.

As for XRIs, I'd propose, as a first cut, that the browser could look for a a X2R local access service associated with the XRI's identifier authority. (X2R is the default local access service defined in the spec). The browser could perform an HTTP get to that X2R local access endpoint (X2R is really just the base HTTP semantics applied to an XRI resource).

The return result would be a document displayable in a browser with further XRI or HTML links to other documents or resources. RDDL is an an extension to XHTML that does exactly this (http://www.rddl.org), allowing machine-readable markup embedded in the XHTML so that the same document can be consumed both by humans through a browswer and by machines using RDDL-aware parsing.

This is something that doesn't neccesarily need formalization. I'd propose someone write a plugin for the major browsers and see how it works and how popular it is... good ideas tend to evolve and are rarely the product of instaneous genius. XRI being a good example ;-)

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards