xri message

Subject: SV: [xri] resolution of an xri from browser, keep in browser or seperate?

actually more along the line of what I've been considering.

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Drummond Reed [mailto:drummond.reed@cordance.net]
Sendt: 10. januar 2005 07:17
Til: 'Wachob, Gabe'; Bryan Rasmussen; xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Emne: RE: [xri] resolution of an xri from browser, keep in browser or
seperate?

Brian,

I was in already in holiday mode when your original question came in, but I
just got back to reviewing it and I'd like to amplify on Gabe's response
with another view of how XRI-identified-resource interaction might work w/in
the browser (plus a key question it raises for XRI 2.0 resolution that I'm
sending in a separate email.)

[Disclaimer about the following - I'm co-chair of the OASIS XDI TC,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xdi, so put all of this in that context
;-)].

The view is that the option Gabe articulates of having a standard way to get
more information about/interact with an XRI-identified resource could be SO
useful that this is one of the key goals of the OASIS XDI (XRI Data
Interchange) TC. The XDI TC is defining a way of using XRIs to identify and
exchange metadata and data related to an XRI-identified resource including,
if needed, negotiation of access to controlled resources using "link
contracts".

This means that the XDI perspective, Gabe's suggestion would be implemented
through another service associated with the XRI-identified resource
(probably called, naturally enough, "XDI" instead of "X2R".) The browser
plug-in that supported XDI would see if the XRI-identified resource
supported XDI, and if so, it could use XDI to request almost any kind of
metadata about the resource, which would always be returned as an XDI
document (meaning an XML document navigable using XRIs by an XDI processor).

Let me know if you'd like more information about the work of the XDI TC (or
feel free to join it as an observer - see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xdi).

Best,

=Drummond
http://public.xdi.org/=Drummond.Reed