xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Relative XRIs

I think we’re probably ok with the current syntax. With respect to “//”, it looks to me like we’re more restrictive than generic URIs in two ways.

First, a relative URI reference can start with “//” (i.e. be relative to the scheme), while an XRI cannot.

URI legal – //authority/path

XRI illegal – //authority/path

Second, the path portion of a URI reference can have an empty first segment, while an XRI cannot.

URI legal – http://www.epok.net//path

XRI illegal – xri://www.epok.net//path

Allowing these two forms significantly complicates the ABNF. I suggest we stay where we are.

Dave