xri message

Subject: Passion about problems!

XRI TC Members and Observers,

In preparation for today's 10AM PST telecon (Toll free access number:
1-800-514-2819, International Access Number: +973-935-8596, Participant
Code: 716233), this email solicits input for the first task in preparing the
last of our four deliverables in the XRI 2.0 suite: the XRI Primer.

In previous emails we have established the basic outline for the Primer as
follows:

1) Introduction (very short)

2) The Types of Problems XRIs Are Designed to Solve

3) How XRIs Can Help Solve These Problems: Example Usage Scenarios

4) A Brief Guide to the Normative 2.0 Specifications

The heart of the Primer is really section 2: the types of problems XRIs are
designed to solve. This is where we will capture the hearts and minds of the
Primer audience, because this is where they will look first to see if they
can identify with this problem set.

I believe both the fastest AND the best way to capture this set of problems
is for each of us to tap our own direct experience to write a description of
the problem(s) that we are personally most passionate about, i.e., those
that have been our motivation to form/join the XRI TC and work for the past
two years to create these specifications.

For example, following is a preliminary list of the five major types of
problems that different TC members have said they are trying to solve:

* The problem of federating identifiers across large distributed networks in
order to provide interoperability among disparate systems.

* The problem of maintaining persistent identity and links in a large
distributed network.

* The problem of sharing identifiers in order to establish common semantics
among disparate online applications or communities.

* The problem of protecting privacy in online communications.

* The problem of providing interoperability among many existing types of
identifiers as well as extensibility to future yet-to-be-invented types of
identifiers.

Each of us on the TC has a different level of interest and passion about
these particular problems. For example, I have a high degree of passion
about the issue of protecting the privacy of online identifiers. Given the
time I have spent in this area, I know I can write a short (~1/2 page)
description of this problem that I believe would accurately and compellingly
communicate it to almost anyone who shares this same concern.

I can also help write or edit several examples (in Section 3) that
illustrate precisely how XRIs can be used to help solve this problem.

Bingo - we're 1/5th of the way there!

What I'd like to do on today's call (or, if you can't attend today's call,
via email response) is:

1) Discuss the five problems above and take nominations for any other
problems that should be in section 2 of the Primer.

2) Ask for volunteers (or teams of volunteers) that are passionate about a
particular problem on the final list and send a 1/2 page writeup (email,
Word, whatever's easiest) either to the list or to me directly.

Once we have these problem descriptions directly from those who have the
most experience with them, assembling the rest of the Primer should be easy.
(I personally have allocated 90% of the coming week to this task, and Fen
has committed to help me, so provided I can get these problem descriptions
soon, I am committing to delivering a complete first draft by next Friday.)

=Drummond