xri message

Subject: FW: Re:xri: registration with IETF/IANA?

Sorry, I should have copied this list when I replied.

Dave

From: Dave McAlpin
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:19 PM
To: 'connolly@w3.org'
Subject: Re:xri: registration with IETF/IANA?

Thanks for the feedback Dan. Responses are inline.

Dave

No. "Superset" was an unfortunate choice there. We now tend to talk about XRIs as "URI-compatible" (see my response below for more information).

It's worth pointing out, though, that XRI borrows heavily from generic URI syntax, and consequently most URIs with a DNS authority component can be converted to an XRI by replacing the scheme name with "xri". This must be done carefully, however, because XRI defines semantics for many of the characters in RFC3986's [1] sub-delims production. RFC3986 says these characters "are protected from normalization and are therefore safe to be used by scheme-specific and producer-specific algorithms for delimiting data subcomponents within a URI." If either a scheme or a producer uses characters from RFC3986's sub-delims production as delimiters and these characters have a defined meaning in XRI, special consideration is required when converting to an XRI. There are also certain unusual forms of URIs that are not legal as XRIs - a URI with an empty first segment in the path, for example, or an explicitly null user in the authority, like http://@www.example.com. These are uncommon in practice, but must be considered when mapping an existing URI into an XRI.

> xri: is not registered...

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes

> The process for making a new URI scheme is "IETF consensus action"

> i.e. the normal IETF process, starting with Internet Drafts and such.

> I don't see any proposals for xri in Internet Drafts nor relevant

> mailing lists.

> I think IETF registration should get started, at least in the form of

> an Internet Draft, before the OASIS membership is asked to endorse

> XRIs and before they're deployed at any scale.

We could definitely use some advice here. XRI in its native form can't be a URI scheme because it allows syntax that doesn't meet the requirements of RFC3986. Section 2.3.1 of the XRI syntax spec [2] defines an algorithm to map XRIs into a form, called URI-normal form, that satisfies the syntax and processing rules defined by RFC3986. XRIs mapped to URI-normal form can thus be used in contexts that expect a URI. Like IRIs mapped to URIs following the algorithms in RFC3987 [3], an XRI in URI-normal form can be a little hard to read because of percent-encoded characters.

We've discussed the possibility of defining a URI scheme for XRIs in URI-normal form. The danger, of course, is that having two normative specs for the same identifier could easily produce an ambiguous or inconsistent definition. The current draft of 2717bis-2718bis, "Guidelines and Registration Procedures for new URI Schemes" [4], makes it much easier for schemes defined outside the IETF to be formally registered. This may ultimately provide a path that minimizes the overlap between XRIs defined in URI-normal form and those defined in XRI-normal form.

Input from the TAG on this issue would be very much appreciated.

> Oh... I see a launch has already happened...

> "Identity Commons commenced its early registration program for i-names

> on October, 25th 2004"

>  -- http://www.idcommons.net/

> and I see a press release

> http://idcommons.net/press/iname-launch-2004-10-25.html

> ... though I don't see technical details of how xri: names are

> actually used.

This is a vendor specific application, developed and deployed before the spec was standardized. While we appreciate the early adoption, the TC has no obligation to lock down the spec to support i-names.