xri message

Subject: W3C comment addendum

The W3C's comment addendum (see below) strongly suggests that our revision
to the "Introduction to XRIs" document should include the following key
points:

1) That any native XRI can be downcast into a legal IRI or URI, and thus can
maintain complete compatability with the W3C TAG dictum about identifying
all resources with URIs (see http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-use-uris);

2) The only reason native XRI syntax is not native URI syntax is because XRI
syntax extends URI syntax; and

3) The reason native XRI syntax extends native URI syntax is because XRI
adds syntactic features that are not available in native URI syntax (or else
we would have used URIs). Obviously we feel these syntactic features are
highly desirable in uniform abstract identifiers or we would not have gone
to the great lengths we have to produce the XRI specifications.

On this last point, I agree very much with Gabe and Mike that the revised
Intro doc needs to make it very clear that having a unified syntax for both
persistent and reassignable identifiers is only one of these features, and
not the most important.

Mike, Gabe: how is the revision to the Intro doc going? I'm going to take an
action item to start a status list of errata fixes and proposed revisions to
the Committee Drafts; I'll try to have it posted early this week.

=Drummond
http://public.xdi.org/=Drummond.Reed