xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] tag for local scope comment

Mike,

Good point. In posting the writeup I was just trying to capture what I'd
understood about their need for a $tag for this particular identifier type
from members of the Core Identifier Workgroup
(http://www.opengroup.org/projects/coreid/).

I'll reflect your message back to them and see what they say.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Lindelsee, Mike [mailto:mlindels@visa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 4:49 PM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] tag for local scope comment

After looking over the proposal for this issue, I have a fundamental
question about this proposal.

The first sentence in the motivation section says that a tag is needed
to "explicitly declare that a namespace is locally scoped and thus must
be placed in the context of an authority to be globally unique."

Isn't this just basic XRI syntax?  I.e.,

  xri://<authority-part>/<local-part>

By definition, the local-part can only be understood in the context of
the authority-part. This already guarantees global uniqueness (assuming
an authority doesn't have multiple entries for the same subsegment --
which is likely a good assumption).

The example given is that of a 7 digit employee number system.  Wouldn't
the requirement be met just by using the following XRI?

  xri://@example.company/1234567

Or if a more hierarchical XRI were desired, something to the effect of:

  xri://@example.company/id/1234567

Mike