xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] GCS Spoofing

Hi Chetan and Nat,

The IRI specification does not really address the issue, but points to
the URI layer for security considerations. IDNs could appear in the
ireg-name part of an IRI, which does not restrict the character set any
further than what is allowed in IDNA.

The IDNA specifications has taken precautionary steps to avoid the
period character being spoofed by requiring implementations fold the
period-like characters to U+002D. However, IDNA does not preclude other
IRI/URI syntax character homographs from being used. Therefore, the
slash homograph problem was a difficult one because it poses a serious
threat and yet was not prohibited at the specification level. Browser
vendors (at least Opera) made the decision to prohibit the code point
entirely.

Here are some of the possible courses of actions that we could take:

1. Someone Else's Problem - keep the syntax specifications simple and
clean, and leave it to client applications to map the characters and
detect spoofing attempts.

2. Similar to the above but make detailed recommendations in the
specification, with specific guidelines on how clients can deal with the
issues.

3. Change the "iunreserved" range of the syntax specs to remove the GCS
character homographs. What implications does this have? An alternative
might be to change the "rgcs-char" production to include the homographs
and require that the application perform an additional step to map the
homographs to the base GCS character?

We need to keep in mind that doing #3 means that we are preventing an
otherwise legal IRI from being properly converted from XRI to IRI,
because the homograph would be %-encoded in XRI-normal form, with the
'%' further encoded when transforming to IRI.

wil.