xri message

Subject: Comments on XRI Syntax Draft 10

Dave & Drummond-
    I looked through the -10 version with a focus on areas that were changed and had just a very few bits of feedback
Line 139 - the word "community" is not used before this line. I'd just say "..to be used to specify an XRI authority" (or "XRI root authority").

Line 266 - The URL should probably point to the http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xri/V2.0 URL

Line 325 - (also Line 343 - table 1) - I think the word "authority" is being used a little sloppily here. In IRI & URI specs, "authority" means a syntactic construct - a BNF production. In Table 1, the descriptions of the various GCS's talks about authorities as organizations who exert control. I think its better to stick to the IRI/URI definition. I'd change the text in the tables to the following (text changes apply to the "Establishes Global Context For" column:

For =: Identifiers for whom the authority is controlled by an individual person

For @: Identifiers for whom the authority is controlled by an organization.

For +: Identifiers for whom there is no centralized control of the authority, or for whom the authority is controlled by general use. For example, generic dictionary concepts, "tags", etc.

For $: Identifiers for whom the authority is controllede by a specification from a standards body. For example, other ...

Line 781 - RFC 4234 has just been published (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4234.txt) which obsoletes RFC 2234 - This updates the ABNF specification. I don't know if we want to go there - I don't know what changes are in 4234 and whether they affect our BNF. If anyone is up for *heroic* effort, they could look at RFC 4234 and see if we can just reference it instead of RFC 2234...

    -Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Innovation Group
Visa International
Phone: +1.650.432.3696   Fax: +1.650.554.6817