xri message

Subject: Significance of trailing delimiters (was RE: Describing vs Described problem)

Title: RE: Describing vs Described problem (was Compromise Conceptualization Towards CD-02)

Bill, I renamed this thread again since you bring up a very precise issue that I believe needs to be addressed in the context of the XRI resolution spec.

I would propose that the question about the signficance of a single trailing delimiter is that *from the standpoint of XRI resolution* there is no difference.

In other words, because there is no addition segment or subsegment to resolve, there is no additional resource identified, and thus no affect on resolution.

To be specific, this would mean that all of the following would return the same XRID from the same authority:

            xri:@foo*bar

            xri:@foo*bar/

            xri:@foo*bar?

            xri:@foo*bar#

Note that I specifically limited this proposal to a single trailing delimiter. I don't think this rule can be applied when there is more than one trailing delimiter, for the reason that second delimiter may carry in fact define either: a) an explicit empty subsegment (e.g., "xri://@foo*bar//"), or b) a valid character in the XRI component type (e.g., "xri://@foo*bar#?", where the ? may be interpreted as a fragment value).

Again, this is just a proposal, on a subject that I think does need to be clarified in Res CD02.

=Drummond