xri message

Subject: Special processing instruction proposal

In preparation for this morning's call, I have a simple proposal for the
open issue of "special processing instructions".

The issue is whether we want to have any means of putting special processing
instructions for a resolver into a QXRI.

Even though I believe sentiment is currently leaning towards not including
this capability in CD02, it struck me this week that we could be introducing
a serious future compatability problem if we don't reserve in CD02 a way for
this to be done in the future.

So the proposal is a simple one that fits closely with the type matching
algorithm: specify that if the first subsegment of the path portion of a
QXRI = "$res", then the FIRST SEGMENT of the path is reserved for special
processing instructions and MUST be ignored by any XRI resolver that does
not understand those special processing instructions.

Examples:

1) No special processing instructions (SPI):

HXRI:		http://xri.net/=drummond.reed/foo/bar
QXRI:		xri://=drummond.reed/foo/bar
Authority:	=drummond.reed
SPI:		[none]
Path:		foo/bar

2) With SPI:

HXRI:		http://xri.net/=drummond.reed/$res*(@baz/do-this)/foo/bar
QXRI:		xri://=drummond.reed/$res*(@baz/do-this)/foo/bar
Authority:	=drummond.reed
SPI:		$res*(@baz/do-this)
Path:		foo/bar

Even if a resolver didn't understand the SPI "$res*(@baz/do-this)", it would
at least know that this entire segment should be ignored and it could
proceed with normal resolution.

As another example, if we wanted an SPI for passing the MediaType inline in
the QXRI part of an HXRI (as proposed in WD09), this could be defined as the
following parameter:

	$res*(+mediatype/value)

So for XRDS, it could be:

	$res*(+mediatype/xrds)

Full example:

3) With MediaType SPI:

HXRI:		http://xri.net/=drummond.reed/$res*(+mediatype/xrds)/foo/bar
QXRI:		xri://=drummond.reed/$res*(+mediatype/xrds)/foo/bar
Authority:	=drummond.reed
SPI:		$res*(@+mediatype/xrds)
Path:		foo/bar