xri message

Subject: RE: Updated error codes

Wil,

Thanks much for this. One note: we try to avoid sending large attachments to the TC list. Instead upload them to Kavi which will automatically send every TC member a link.

RE your questions, see ### inline below.

Best,

=Drummond

From: Tan, William [mailto:William.Tan@neustar.biz]
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:59 AM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Updated error codes

Hi Drummond,

Here’s an updated error code table containing changes that we agreed upon on Thursday’s TC call.

With regards to the interaction between AUTH_RES_NOT_FOUND and no-follow-ref, in order for me to understand it I divided it into 4 scenarios:

Let’s set up a common QXRI =a*b, and the result of resolution is that =a’s XRD has neither an $res*auth service nor a Ref element.

  1. Proxy server is given a media type of xrds or xrds+saml with the no-follow-ref flag set -> return all the XRD’s successfully resolved so far. Or should we return all the successfully resolved XRD’s followed by AUTH_RES_NOT_FOUND?

### Good question. My vote would be that since it was told not to follow Refs, it should just return the status of the outcome, i.e., The latter, i.e., the proxy server would return one XRD from = for the Query “*a” with a Status of SUCCESS plus one XRD for the Query “*b” with a Status of AUTH_RES_NOT_FOUND. However I can see the case for saying that in the second XRD it should return a Status code of “REF_NOT_FOLLOWED” if there actually was a Ref in the XRD for *a because that would be much more clear. Do you agree?

  1. Proxy server is given any other media type with no-follow-ref flag set -> return HTTP 200 with error message in text/plan or html.

### Agreed – it should return whatever error message on we decide on for #1..

  1. Proxy server is given a media type of xrds or xrds+saml *without* no-follow-ref -> return *a’s XRD followed by *b’s XRD with status = AUTH_RES_NOT_FOUND (Isn’t this the purpose of REF_NOT_FOUND?)

### Here’s my rationale for why we need *either* AUTH_RES_NOT_FOUND or REF_NOT_FOUND but not both: the flowcharts showed that the logic paths are identical. In other words, if you don’t find the service, you’re supposed to look for a Ref. If you don’t find a Ref, or if a Ref doesn’t pan out, then you didn’t find the Service. Between the two options, the editors were leaning towards standardizing on AUTH_RES_NOT_FOUND during the authority resolution phase and SERVICE_NOT_FOUND during the service endpoint selection phase and dropping REF_NOT_FOUND. (However I think there is a clear case for having REF_NOT_FOLLOWED as described above.)

  1. Proxy server is given any other media type *without* no-follow-ref -> return HTTP 200 with error message in text/plain or html.

### Agreed – again it should be whatever error message we decide for #3.

### After you’ve processed this, please send me your conclusion as to what we should change (if anything) in the updated error table you sent – that’s what I’ll put in ED 07.