xri message

Subject: XRI Res ED 08 decision - need feedback

XRI Resolution Editors (and any other TC member interested):

Thanks to Steve, we now have an example local resolver API which will become
non-normative Appendix C in Editor's Draft 08 of Working Draft 10 (the last
of these "Editor's Drafts"). This API is document on the TC wiki at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResolutionExampleApi

Once we finished this example local API, it brought up several options for
how it could be mapped more efficiently to the proxy resolver API that we do
normatively specify. Steve and I batted around the options over the weekend,
and we ended out with three proposals that are listed at the bottom of the
page above.

The one Steve and I are leaning towards is #3, which collapses all the
choices about resolution type and return type and service endpoint selection
into one list of media types. Besides reducing three potential proxy
resolver parameters (_xrd_a, _xrd_r, and a possible _xrd_s) to just one
(_xrd_r), it also has the advantage of allowing XRI communities to advertise
the precise capabilities of their XRI proxy resolvers.

Under this proposal the list of media types that could be offered by an XRI
proxy resolver would be:

application/xrds+xml
application/xrds-saml+xml
application/xrd+xml
application/xrd-saml+xml
application/xrds-sep+xml
application/xrds-saml-sep+xml
application/xrd-sep+xml
application/xrd-saml-sep+xml
text/uri-list
text/uri-list-saml

Note that only the first two of these are the media types for an XRI
authority server. The other 8 are all for proxy resolvers only.

Since I'm writing this into the spec this afternoon, I'd love to get
feedback. Do folks agree that expanding the list of media types to cover all
these options is the cleanest way to specify the proxy resolver interface?
If so, these would become the values of the _xrd_r parameter. The only other
parameters (besides the QXRI) would be:

_xrd_t	Service Type
_xrd_m	Media Type
_xrd_n	No-Follow-Refs Flag

Thanks for any feedback -- I'm aiming to publish Editor's Draft 08 tomorrow,
hold final review on Thursday's TC call, and publish the final Working Draft
10 on Friday.

=Drummond