xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 4pm PT Thursday 2006/07/13

[Pardon my delay on getting these posted - just too many summer
distractions.]

MINUTES OF THE XRI TC TELECON THURSDAY 2006/07/13 (UNOFFICIAL)

Date:  Thursday, 13 July 2006 USA (Friday morning Asia)
Time:  4:00PM - 5:30PM PT

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call that will continue until the end of the XRI 2.0
cycle.

PRESENT

Drummond Reed
Gabe Wachob
Steve Churchill
Les Chasen
Wil Tan

GUESTS
Kevin Turner
David Recordon
Larry Drebes
Karl Howells

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Gabe announced his new position as CTO of AmSoft Corporation. Because AmSoft
is a member of the TC, this has no affect on Gabe continuing as co-chair.

XRI RESOLUTION

We discussed with our guests from the Yadis community (www.yadis.org) the
proposed plan for incorporating the Yadis 1.0 spec into XRI Resolution 2.0
Working Draft 11. Because substantial portions of the Yadis spec reflect
material that is already in the XRI Resolution spec, it was agreed that is
the portion from section 6.2.3 to the end of section 6 that needs to be
incorporated. It was agreed that the XRI Resolution Editors will do the
first cut of this, then ask the Yadis community to review it.

ESCAPING + AND SPACE IN XRI RESOLUTION QUERY PARAMETERS

This discussion was in reference to the email thread at...

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200607/msg00001.html

...regarding escaping of characters in XRI resolution query parameters.

Conclusions:

* We MUST NOT not do any escaping to query parameters that belong to the XRI
being resolved (vs. query parameters named "_xrd_*" that are added only for
XRI resolution). These non-XRI resolution query parameters MUST be passed
straight through. We MUST only apply escaping rules to XRI resolution query
parameters.

* We will specify that both + and %2B MUST be interpreted the same way by an
XRI proxy resolver. Therefore spaces should not be encoded as + signs.

* We need to add a section to Working Draft 11 that deals with encoding
rules for XRIs and in particular query segments when being passed to XRI
local and proxy resolvers.

See also Wil Tan's separate summary posted at:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200607/msg00005.html

AMBIGUOUS CHARACTERS IN CROSS-REFERENCES

This discussion was in reference to the email thread summarized at...

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200607/msg00007.html

...regarding the potential for ambiguity in cross-references in XRIs that
are in XRI-normal form.

* The conclusion was that we should make a minor update to the text of XRI
Syntax 2.0 (specifically line 371) to clarify that even in XRI-normal form,
XRIs or IRIs or URIs that include characters that could cause
misinterpretation (such as "#" or ")" ) need to be escaped or they will be
misinterpreted. This should probably be addressed in the section defining
cross-references.

WORKPLAN DISCUSSION
We discussed the workplan for completion of XRI Resolution 2.0 and XRI
Metadata 2.0 and came to the following conclusions.

* Drummond will coordinate the XRI Resolution 2.0 editors by parsing out the
tasks necessary to complete Working Draft 11. He won't be able to get to
this immediately, but the goal will be to complete it by mid-August.

* Drummond and Marty Schleiff will proceed on the same timeline to complete
XRI Metadata 2.0 Working Draft 09.

NEXT MEETING

* Due to travel and vacations, the next meeting was scheduled for Thursday,
August 3rd, at 4PM PT.

=Drummond