xri message

Subject: match attribute value "none"

Hi list,

Does anyone have a real use case for match="none" other than a mechanism for commenting out a service?

Consider a service block that looks like the following:

<Service>
  <Type match="any"/>
  <Path match="content">documents</Path>
  <Path match="none"/>
</Service>

This service is considered inactive because of the final Path element. I find the placement of this control knob rather awkward because this Path element affects the parent element (Service) as well as rendering its siblings useless. This flag should be an attribute of Service.

I know this has been brought up before and IIRC people (include myself) were reluctant to add a new attribute to the Service element. So, instead of adding an attribute, this is a straw man proposal to see if we could remove "none" from the list of match values.

Objections / thoughts?

=wil (http://xri.net/=wil)