xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Authority resolution

Wil,

I'm just back from vacation and just preparing to start ramping up on XRI
Resolution 2.0 Working Draft 11 next week (finally!), but from everything I
read here, I think you're right on.

If it's not clear in Working Draft 10, we need to make it clear in Working
Draft 11 that during the authority resolution stage, service endpoint
selection is ALWAYS filtering for an authority resolution service (Table 11,
15, 16, or 17), and if it doesn't find it, the resolver MUST do Ref
processing (if any Refs are present), and that a resolver should NEVER
process the default service, only explicit matches to the above.

I've added this to my Working Draft 11 action item list (that I'm going to
transpose to the wiki early next week.)

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Tan, William [mailto:William.Tan@neustar.biz]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:20 AM
To: xri@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xri] Authority resolution

Hi folks,

The current text on line 780 of xri-resolution-v2-wd10 says that:

For each iteration of the authority resolution process, the next authority
resolution service endpoint MUST be selected as defined in section 7 using
the values from Table 11. In addition, the Next Authority URI MUST be
constructed as defined in section 5.1.7.

I believe this refers to section 8 (Service Endpoint Selection) rather than
7 (Proxy Resolution).

If I'm resolving =foo*bar and =foo's XRD contains no authority resolution
service endpoint, I found out that the OpenXRI code selected a contact
service (because it was configured as a default service) and tried to use it
as an authority service endpoint! That's because it simply used the service
selection functions by passing it the service selection values from Table
11, and failing to find it the function actually returned the default
service.

I'm wondering if we should clarify that for the authority resolution phase,
one should not process the default service. Implementation wise, I'm
thinking of keeping service selection functions status quo but the authority
resolution function will actually filter out "selected services" which do
not match the parameters in Table 11.

=wil (http://xri.net/=wil)