xri message

Subject: RE: XRDS ref

Wil & Gabe,

Here's my answer to Wil's original question: the ref attribute in the
outermost XRDS document: a) MUST be absolute, and b) is ALWAYS set by the
resolver (either a local resolver or a proxy) and never by the server. I
think of it as the resolver just "echoing back" the XRI it was asked to
resolve.

If a local resolver "hands off" resolution of a ref to another resolver, the
calling resolve should simple check that the value of the ref element on the
returned XRDS document is identical to what it asked for.

I agree that the ref attribute on the outermost XRDS document is primarily a
convenience -- it makes the document self-describing. However the role the
ref attribute plays in nested XRDS documents (those used to follow Refs) is
critical because it's the only place where the identifier for the root
authority MUST appear. In other words, because the first XRD in the nested
XRDS is relative to the root authority for the Ref XRI, it's <Query> is
going to contain a relative XRI subsegement like *foo. The only *required*
data that tells you that this is @*foo and not =*foo is the ref attribute on
the XRDS wrapper. (The ProviderID element in the first XRD identifies the
provider, but this element is not required, and furthermore it may be a
different identifier than the one used to identify the root authority.)

Wil, let us know if you have any other questions about this. I've made a
note in the WD11 Improvements section
(http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResWorkingDraft11#head-7d258f97dc15
79a6f262bde09b98405ad86f69ec) to reflect what we've discussed here.

=Drummond