xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon Thursday 2006-11-30

Following are minutes for the unofficial XRI TC telecon at:

Date:  Thursday, 30 November 2006 USA (Friday morning Asia)
Time:  4:00PM - 5:30PM PT

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call that will continue until the end of the XRI 2.0
cycle.

ATTENDING

Gabe Wachob
Wil Tan
Les Chasen
Drummond Reed
Steve Churchill

AGENDA

1) IPR MODE TRANSITION VOTE
Though the vote does not end until Friday), a majority have voted in favor,
so we will proceed to the formal IPR transition ballot. Watch the email list
for further instructions.

2) XDI TC CALLS
The XDI TC is resuming regularly unofficial weekly telecons starting next
week. They will immediately preceed the XRI TC calls.

3) XRI AND IRI DISCUSSION
We discussed the thread Marty Schlieff initiated a thread on the TC list --
see:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200611/msg00010.html

It was agreed that Marty will consider this further; until then we will
continue under the present "3-step ladder" set of XRI/IRI/URI normal forms.

4) XRI SYNTAX ISSUES
Drummond updated the Syntax 2.1 wiki page at...

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/Xri2dot1Syntax

...with issue #12, GCS Subsegments. We discussed this briefly and agreed it
needs further discussion on the email list. We also briefly reviewed the
updated proposals on...

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/Xri2dot1Formats

It was agreed that we may need a special call devoted to the question of
MXRI format.

5) VALID XRIS AND XRI NORMAL FORM

Marty asked if there is any difference between "a valid XRI" and "an XRI in
XRI-normal form". We reviewed section 2.1.4 of XRI Syntax 2.0, which
currently implies that to be valid, an XRI is not required to be in a
particular normal form. Examples of valid XRIs that are not in any normal
form:

 * An XRI that contains unnecessary percent encoding.
 * An XRI that uses a non-UCS character set, such as ISO 8859-1.

We determined that we should follow the lead of the IRI spec with regard to
this definition of validity.

# DRUMMOND and MARTY to review IRI spec and propose a definition of XRI
validity for XRI Syntax 2.1.

Marty also pointed out a second action item coming out of this discussion:

# XRI SYNTAX EDITORS: Add a new XRI-normal form section to replace section
2.1.4, and to update the table in 2.3.1. Note in this section that it is
during the encoding of an XRI into a UCS character set that you have the
opportunity to optionally add language metadata. Also note in section
2.1.4.1 that there can be other mechanisms besides $ cross-references for
encoding the necessary language information (such as the lang attribute in
XML).

6) XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 ISSUE #37
Drummond was not able to post a proposal yet. He will try to do before next
week's call.

=Drummond