xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon Thursday 2006-12-14

Following are the minutes for the unofficial XRI TC telecon at:

Date:  Thursday, 14 December 2006 USA (Friday morning Asia)
Time:  4:00PM - 5:30PM PT

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call that will continue until the end of the XRI 2.0
cycle.

ATTENDING

Gabe Wachob
Bill Barnhill
Steve Churchill
Drummond Reed
Les Chasen
Laurie Rae
Marty Schleiff
Wil Tan

AGENDA

1) XRI $ DICTIONARY ISSUES
The editors gave a progress report and brought up some issues around the use
of code within the documentation.

# LAURIE to upload notes from last week's XRI $ Dictionary f2f attended by
Laurie, Gabe, Marty, and Drummond.

* In the V2.0 dictionary, code samples will be used only for documentation.

* Bill pointed out that if the code is executable in any form (therefore
becoming mobile code, then that would trigger special requirements. There
was consensus that we don't want to consider those requirements.

* We discussed the possibility of using regular expressions instead of
example code, but they are harder to work with.

# GABE AND LAURIE have the action item to determine which scripting or
programming language (e.g., Javascript or Perl) should be used within the
spec.

2) XRI SYNTAX ISSUES
Drummond reported on discussions he had at Internet Identity Workshop last
week with several TC members (Victor, Gabe, Laurie, Marty) concerning
current XRI 2.0 cycle outstanding issues. He had not had time to post any
proposals yet. They should be ready by next week's call.

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/XriSyntax2dot1
	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/Xri2dot1Formats

3) XRI RESOLUTION ISSUES
We discussed the new issues (#37, #38, #39) at:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResWorkingDraft11

* We had a very long discussion of issues #37 and #39, including the
question of whether URIs should be part of the XRI resolution graph, for
example as values of XRDS Ref elements or CanonicalIDs. There was no clear
conclusion, but the preference was not to extend the XRI resolution graph.

* On issue #37, we analyzed if an XRI resolution request for an XRI with a
local part, which specifies a return type of application/xrds+xml or
application/xrd+xml, could return an XRDS or XRD document describing the
resource identified by the local part and not an XRDS or XRD document
describing the authority. This is a classic "meta" problem because you are
using an XRDS document to describe the retreival of an XRDS document.

* No clear solution was identified, however the XRI resolution editors will
think further on it and make a proposal via the wiki.