xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon Thursday 2007-01-04

[My apologies for the tardiness of posting these minutes -- January was a
month of intensive travel for me. Thankfully Laurie now has the minuting
mantle. Go Laurie!]

Following are the minutes for the unofficial XRI TC telecon at:

Date:  Thursday, 04 January 2007 USA (Friday morning Asia)
Time:  4:00PM - 5:30PM PT

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial call that will continue until the end of the XRI 2.0
cycle.

PRESENT

Drummond
Marty
Gabe
Laurie
Les
Wil
Steve

1) XRI SYNTAX 2.1 NORMAL FORMS
Drummond and Marty reviewed the updates from the last call on the XRI
Syntax 2.1 normal forms.

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/FormsAndTransformations

* Although "safe form" may be needed by other specifications, it is such a
simple transformation that it shouldn't be needed independently.

# DRUMMOND to update the normal form ladder diagram.

2) XRI SYNTAX 2.1 TRAILING SLASHES
We discussed the trialing slash issue.

* The first proposal from Drummond and Marty was to always normalize out a
single trailing slash, both for an empty path and after a non-empty path,
but multiple trailing slashes would not be normalized.

* This led to the question: is the path zero-or-more or one-or-more
segments?

* Our conclusion was: a path consists of one-or-more path segments, with any
segment capable of being empty. The normal form for an empty path consists
of one empty segment. However an absolute does not have to have a path, and
the normal form for an XRI that consists of only the authority segment and
an empty path is not to include the empty path.

* The final decision was this rule: all delimiters are significant with the
single exception of a empty path. Examples:

  * =example and =example/ are equivalent. The former is the normal form.

  * =example and =example* are not equivalent.

  * =example*foo and =example**foo are not equivalent.

  * =example and =example! are not equivalent.

  * =example/foo and =example/foo/ are not equivalent.

  * =example/?foo and =example?foo are equivalent.

* We also agreed in XRI Syntax 2.1 to eliminate the optional star syntax.

# DRUMMOND to update the XRI Syntax 2.1 wiki page with both conclusions.

3) XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 SPEC NAME MODIFICATION?
We discussed the issue of using the term "discovery" raised by
Les. See the thread starting at:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200612/msg00030.html

No firm decision was reached; this will be revisited in a future call.