xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Proposal for XRI Syntax 2.1 to treat all delimiters as signficant

Drummond Reed wrote:
> Make XRI 2.1 syntax as simple and regular as possible, because we
> cannot anticipate all future use cases for XRI syntax, and a
> simple, regular syntax will better serve developers and
> infrastructures that want to put XRI to uses we cannot yet anticipate.

Since we first started to show XRIs to groups of developers 3 years
ago or more, there has been an ongoing struggle to simplify the
syntax visually. The feedback we got from those early adopters was
that they weren't going to be able to "sell" identifiers that were an
over-the-top mess of weird looking punctuation - it undermines
usability too much.

To engineers the visual "look" of these XRIs may seem like a trivial
matter, and certainly not as important as unambiguous interpretation.
But if we want to achieve widespread adoption, I can assure you all
that it is an extremely important issue. We have done well with the
basic "global i-name" syntax, but now we are faced with getting
developer buy-in to a much more complex syntax necessary for data
sharing.

I'm strongly supportive of the new proposals to make concatenated
XRIs as clean looking as possible within the constraints of
unambiguity, and I think it's well worth the extra effort on the part
of the TC to hammer this out.

=vg