xri message

Subject: New wiki pages for discussing XRI 2.1 Syntax

XRI TC Members and Observers:

The XRI Syntax 2.1 editing team (Marty Schlieff, Steve Churchill, Les Chasen, Wil Tan, and myself) have been working hard to resolve issues regarding the proposed 2.1 abstract syntax, concrete ABNF, and normalization rules. We are planning to hold at least one additional editors telecon weekly besides the standard TC telecon on Thursdays in order to make progress on these issues; anyone on the TC is welcome to join us.

We have published several new TC wiki pages describing the issues and proposals. We encourage you to read and comment on these, either directly on the page or via email to this list. All these pages are listed under the XRI Syntax 2.1 heading on the home page of the XRI TC wiki at http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/FrontPage. The specific pages are:

* http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/XriAbnf2dot1 is the page where we are tracking the proposed ABNF. All revisions are logged (click the Info link to view previous versions).

* http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/GlobalXrefs is a new page that explains the most significant proposed feature to XRI 2.1 syntax: global xrefs, which allow XRI authority segments to be directly concatenated in order to compose other XRIs.

* http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/ParseTreeExamples is a new page suggested by Steve Churchill that shows how different XRI authority segments would be parsed by an XRI 2.1 parser following the proposed syntax.

* http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/NormalizationPrinciplesAndPolicies is a proposal to eliminate the “optional star rule” and for all XRI delimiters to be considered signficant from the standpoint of XRI equivalence.

This list may start to experience more traffic as the Syntax editing team debates these issues, but as we move into the specificaton drafting stage, we feel it is better to hear all the arguments than to have debates go on off-list.

Please post if you have strong feelings about any of the topics being proposed/debated.

=Drummond