xri message

Subject: Minutes:Joint XRI & XDI TC Telecon 10AM PT Thursday 2007-04-12

Following are the minutes of the joint unofficial telecon of the XRI and XDI
TCs at:

Date:  Thursday, 12 April 2007 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 12:00PM Pacific Time

ATTENDING

Les Chasen
Wil Tan
Giovanni Bartolomeo
Niecola Blesari (University of Rome)
Gabe Wachob
Drummond Reed
Steve Churchill

AGENDA

1) REMINDER TO REGISTER FOR THE OASIS SYMPOSIUM AND XRI/XDI F2F MEETING

This is our final call before the f2f meeting. See the following for
registration info.

	http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium/2007/index.php

2) I-WORLD PROJECT INVITATION
Giovanni Bartolomeo sent a message to the TC list with links to more
details about what's now called the I-WORLD Project (formerly CATALINA):

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200704/msg00022.html

Giovanni introduced Professor Niecola Blesari of the University of Rome, who
gave an overview of the I-WORLD project. It is a proposal to the EU for a
research project that is currently competing with other research proposals.
To quote from the I-WORLD charter:

"The lowest-common denominator in the Information Society is the digital
file or stream. Music, tax returns, films, software, and sensitive personal
data (bank account and credit card information, medical records, tax
information) are all stored as files and moved around as files or streams -
often in multiple copies on multiple machines.  I-WORLD is based on the
premise that current file-based approaches to information management are no
longer adequate to societal needs. The files we use in our business and
private lives are machine and operating system dependent, we have no uniform
way of structuring them into larger "information packages", identifying
them, searching for them, copying them, backing them up, synchronizing
multiple copies, or controlling the way they are accessed and used. Many of
these issues have already been addressed by the multimedia community and the
standards it has proposed. The strategic goal of I-World is to leverage and
extend this work as the basis for a new information infrastructure capable
of effectively handling the needs of producers and consumers of digital
information in a world where the number of producers is often comparable to
the number of consumers."

The I-WORLD project is building on the MPEG 21 standard framework for
management of digital items. The leaders of the project are working with the
chief MPEG architect to increase the chances of success. The EU will not
fund OASIS XDI TC member involvement project directly, however the
University of Rome may be able to pay travel and other expenses for
individuals working on the specific project.

TC members are encourage to contact Giovanni if they are interested in
having an organization (any company or other legal entity) in the US get
involved. The project would start in September or October.

# DRUMMOND to forward the latest version of the abstract to the TC.

# GIOVANNI to study Andy Dale's email reply and formulate what additional
questions he has for the TC.

3) XRI RESOLUTION 2.O WD 11 ISSUE #37 - SERVICE REFS

After a readthrough of the processing rules, there was consensus to close
this issue:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/ServiceRefs

Steve and Drummond will now proceed with drafting this in WD11.

4) REMAINING XRI RESOLUTION 2.O WD 11 ISSUES

Besides issue #16, which is pending the outcome of ABNF discussions, there
are four remaining issues: #38, #39, #40, and #41. See:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResWorkingDraft11

* Issue #38: Closed. Steve and Wil will collaborate on an update to the
abstract functional interface based on the new parameter list.

* Issue #39: Closed. Spec will say that authority ref containing anything
but an XRI will be skipped in reference processing. We also agreed that the
general rule should be that an XRI resolver should not error out when
encountering an XRDS element that contains a URI or IRI when the XRI
resolver expects an XRI, but should ignore that element, proceeding as it it
were not present.

* Issues #40 and #41 we did not have time to close, but we plan to do so at
the f2f.

5) XRI SYNTAX 2.1

See:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/XriAbnf2dot1

We discussed the "xri:" and "xri://" issue at some length. The primary issue
is backwards compatability. Several TC members have voted -1 for this
reason. We discussed the tradeoffs of keeping "//", and thus having URI/IRI
parsers parse the authority component as an authority component. The
downsides are:

	- All @ signs after the first character of the authority component
would have to be percent-encoded in IRI-normal form and URI-normal form.
	- All colons in the authority component would have to be
percent-encoded in IRI-normal form and URI-normal form in order not to be
mistaken for port delimiters.
	- The // is effectively redundant as of XRI 2.1 because the XRI
authority roots are expressed by the four GCS characters, so these are
"wasted characters" in all XRIs.

The issue needs more discussion; we will aim to close it at the f2f.

6) F2F AGENDA & CALL-IN SCHEDULE

The overall agenda for next week's f2f meeting is:

	WED: XRI Resolution 2.0 Working Draft 11 walkthrough/issues closure
	THUR: XRI Syntax 2.1 Working Draft 01 walkthrough/issues closure
	FRI: XRI $ Dictionary 2.0 Working Draft 01 walkthrough/issues
closure

We will hold telecons for dialing in from 1-5PM PT on both WED and THUR. We
encourage all TC members who can join us in those time frames to do so.