xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Potential breakthrough

Drummond Reed wrote:

> I have an internal maxim that I follow: if Steve tells me he’s got a
> problem with something, and after three times trying to work it out
> with him, he’s still got a problem with it, then I need to look at it
> very closely and see if there’s a better solution.
>
> I’ve worked long enough with Marty now to realize the same thing is
> true with him.
>
> So when both of them plus Wil are telling me something is too complex,
> that’s one helluva strong signal.

Not to mention Gabe too.

> So after yesterday’s thread, I looked closely at the requirements
> again and thought about the key issue Steve has raised about how
> “sticky stars” makes for funky synonym rules. This jibes with what
> Marty keeps saying about how the original “compact syntax” was much
> simpler than “sticky stars”.
>
> I have always been the one saying that we needed sticky stars. So I
> revisited that assumption…and realized that in that area I too had
> been stuck with a “2.0” filter on. I had been assuming that anything
> you could express as a parenthetical xref (which is “opaque” to XRI
> resolution) had to be something that was also equally “opaque” when
> expressed as a global-xref.
>
> But it’s that assumption that leads both to most of the increased
> complexity and the funky synonym problem. So if you drop that
> assumption and do as Marty has been suggesting all along and simply
> treat all subsegments as subsegments…
>
> …everything works just fine.

[snip]

> So I tried to figure out if there was any other requirement – in XDI
> RDF or anywhere else global-xrefs would be used – that would not be
> met if global-xrefs were not opaque. I couldn’t come up with any.

I think you said that if we couldn't have sticky stars it would hugely
diminish the benefits of concatenated syntax. I don't recall drilling
into the reasoning behind that.

I agree that not having the sticky star rules does simplify things a
lot. In effect, we're kind of back to compact syntax, which means that a
global-xref is a two-subseg-XRI-where-first-subseg-is-GCS construct. In
this case, it really becomes more like a shorthand i.e. compact syntax.
I wonder if this approach was taken if we should revisit normalization?
Certainly, the rules of when to normalize to a parenthesized form are
going to be simpler as well. I still feel that the parentheses makes it
clear that the referenced identifier is local, especially Steve and
Marty's point that =steve@microsoft.com gives a false sense impression
that the real authority is @microsoft.com to people who are used to
email identifiers.

=wil