xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Use of the word "synonym" in section 10

from your examples, IMHO =steve.churchill and =steven.churchill and the CID that goes with it are synonymous because they are the same identity.  @ootao*steve is a reference that may be the same person but no one can know that for sure except you.  It is just a reference between two authorities.

I don’t really care if you want to call a reference a synonym I just find that that term is used to often.

contact: =les

voice: =les/(+phone)

chat: =les/skype/chat

From: Steven Churchill [mailto:steven.churchill@xdi.org]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 3:42 PM
To: Chasen, Les
Cc: xri@lists.oasis-open.org

Les,

> I agree.  I think the word ‘synonym’ has been overused.  IMHO, It should be reserved

> for inames and inumbers that are in the same XRD.

I think that you are saying that a value of a CanonicalID is synonymous with the value of LocalID is synonymous with the value of a Ref is synonymous with the value of a Query given that the values show up in the same XRD.

This definition of “synonym” has no practical value that I can see. On the other hand, the property of XRI identifier synonymity is one of XRI Resolution’s most valuable features. I would hate to “lose” the use of the term by associating it with your meaning above.

~ Steve