xri message

Subject: Minutes:Joint XRI & XDI TC Telecon Thursday 2007-07-19

Following are the minutes for the joint unofficial telecon of the XRI and
XDI TCs at:

Date:  Thursday, 19 July 2007 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 12:00PM Pacific Time

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial joint call of the XRI and XDI Technical Committees.

TO ACCESS THE AUDIO CONFERENCE:
    Dial In Number: 571-434-5750
    Conference ID: 5474

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Wil Tan
Les Chasen
Drummond Reed
Gabe Wachob (second half)

AGENDA

1) UPDATE ON XRI COMPONENTS IN HIGGINS

Markus and Drummond provided a brief update on the XRI components that have
been developed for integration of XRI and XRDS for context discovery in
Higgins. These are summarized by three new pages on the Eclipse Higgins
wiki:

	http://wiki.eclipse.org/Context_Discovery
	http://wiki.eclipse.org/ContextId
	http://wiki.eclipse.org/ContextDiscoveryComponents

Feel free to contact them if you have any questions.

2) ENHANCED CANONICAL ID VERIFICATION AND GLOBALIDS

With the return of Wil from extended travel, we had a long discussion about
the enhanced Canonical ID verification & GlobalID proposal as documented on:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/CanonicalIdVerification

We confirmed that the value of a GlobalID element could effectively be
computed from the value of the LocalID or GlobalID elements in the
preceeding XRDs. This leads to three potential options:

	1) Treat GlobalIDs as a "computed element" and do not have support
them as real elements.
	2) Allow XRD authors to publish GlobalID elements to assert that a
specific chain of LocalID elements constitutes a preferred GlobalID for a
given XRD, but still recognized computed GlobalIDs even if they are not
explicitly published.
	3) Only recognize explicitely published GlobalID elements, and do
not support computer GlobalIDs.

Drummond and Markus prefer the third option for three reasons:

* It lessens the burden on XRI resolvers to compute GlobalIDs for all XRDs.
* When a GlobalID element is present in an XRD, it provides a unique global
identifier for that XRD which can be used (among other things) for caching
-- a feature not provided by any of the other synonym elements (LocalIDs are
not absolute, CanonicalIDs may be polyarchical, and Refs and Backrefs MUST
be polyarchical, so they do not necessarily address the current XRD).
* The GlobalID element(s) included in an XRD will be covered by an XML
signature in the SAML trust resolution option.

# WIL to further analyze these options and send an email to the list with
his recommendation.

3) OTHER ISSUES

We also covered details of several other XRI Resolution 2.0 issues and
issued the following action items:

# DRUMMOND to update issue #43, where we confirmed the use of SHOULD, and
agreed it should be extended to saying the resolution service SHOULD return
one of the values specified by the Accept header.

# WIL to review the text in ED02 on issue #9 (what a resolver should do
about missing or new XRD version IDs) and send a proposal to the list.

# GABE to research: 1) whether we can to define new media type parameters
for text/uri-list? 2) Can media type parameters be multi-valued (which is
what we want for the nodefault parameter)?

4) PLAN FOR COMPLETION OF XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 WORKING DRAFT 11

Drummond reported over 90% of the work has been completed on ED03. The last
10% will require into this weekend. He promises to have uploaded ED03 by
Monday. If possible, this draft will be content complete in everything
except the appendicies. It will also include a draft Conformance
Section as now required by OASIS.

Once ED03 is uploaded, the remaining tasks for ED04 will be:

* Review by editors and TC members of new sections in ED03.
* Review by above plus OASIS staff of new conformance section in ED03.
* Updating of Appendix A, Acknowledgements.
* Updating of Appendix D, XML Schema for XRDS and XRD.
* Generation of Appendix E, Relax NG Schema for XRDS and XRD
* Updating of Appendix H, Example Local Resolver Interface Definition.

We want to complete these as soon as possible so ED04 can be published for
wider review and prepared for a Committee Draft vote.

For reference, the relevant docs/wiki pages are:

	WD11 Issues Page:
	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/Xri2Cd02/ResWorkingDraft11

	ED03 Task List Page:
	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/ResWd11Ed02