xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] ED04 synonym proposal (was RE: [xri] CID changes in wd11)

Les, you're not missing anything, it's just the limited bandwidth of email
(and/or my inability to express exactly what I mean). I'll try to make it
clearer.

When I say "non-directional", I mean that EquivID is expressing that neither
the source ID or target ID should take precedence over the other -- they are
pure peers. And by "directional", I mean that MapToID is expressing that the
target ID SHOULD take precedence over the source ID (and MapFromID expresses
the inverse).

So an EquivID element in XRD #1 pointing to the CanonicalID of XRD #2 is
indeed a pointer from one to the other, but the semantics are only that both
IDs represent the same resource, period. For example, the XRD for
@cordance*drummond could have an EquivID pointing to the QXRI or CanonicalID
of =drummond and the semantic interpretation would simply be, "@cordance
says that @cordance*drummond represents the same resource as =drummond".

A consuming application can simply take this statement at face value (for
example, if it has its own reasons to already trust @cordance as an
authority), or it can ask a resolver to verify it by seeing if it can find a
statement saying that "= says that =drummond represents the same resource as
@cordance*drummond" (meaning find an EquivID element in the XRD for
=drummond that points to the QXRI or CanonicalID of @cordance*drummond).

However, if @cordance*drummond had a MapToID pointing to the QXRI or
CanonicalID of =drummond, that statement would express that "@cordance says
that consuming applications should use [QXRI or CanonicalID] of =drummond
when referring to the resource known as @cordance*drummond". Again, a
consuming application can take this statement at face value, or it can ask
an XRI resolver to verify it to see if can find a statement saying
"=drummond says that consuming applications should use [QXRI or CanonicalID]
of =drummond when referring to the resource known as @cordance*drummond"
(meaning find a MapFromID element in the XRD for =drummond that points to
the QXRI or CanonicalID of @cordance*drummond).

Hope this helps,

=Drummond