xri message

Subject: Clarity around Ref processing behavior.

The “processing” flowcharts in sections 8.1.2 and 11.1 both contain a box saying “Resolve Authority Ref to new XRDS document or error”. If “Error” is true, then there is a branch to obtain the next Ref.

The original use case for Ref processing held that the “error” occurred either if a Ref could not be followed due to network error or if following the Ref came up empty for the requested service type. That is, in both cases, the code should try following the next Ref. [I will omit for now the explanation as to why this use case is important, but will gladly explain if asked.]

I’ve heard Wil say at some point that the current OpenXRI implementation only tries the next Ref due to network failure—but doesn’t try the next Ref if the “Resolve Authority Ref to new XRDS document or error” comes up empty for the given service type.

Wil, is my statement accurate? If so, I propose that the OpenXRI behavior be changed to (what I consider) match the flowcharts.

~ Steve

PS: the “note” in the both flowchart refers to section 10. This is incorrect.