xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Nested XRDS documents in Ref processing (was RE: [xri] Special XRI TC Telecon 1PM PT Thursday 2007-10-01)

Steve,

Ahhh, my fault, I didn't understand your original message. I thought you
were saying that the CID for *foo had to be a child of @ootao*steve.

I just talked with John, and since you and Les both feel strongly that the
context of the XRDs representing the rest of the authority resolution chain
should be preserved, I believe the rest of the TC will support that. It also
makes the ref= attribute on the nested XRDS simpler as it will be an exact
match of the value of the Ref attribute that produced the nested XRDS.

John also suggested what I think is the best solution to tracking a Redirect
in the XRDS document, which is to nest it as an XRDS document just like with
a Ref, except use a redirect= attribute on the XRDS container. This is one
step more complex that what Markus would prefer like (in his email this
morning, he'd prefer a Redirect to have direct substitution semantics, so
you don't see the original XRDS at all). However it would provide the "audit
trail" that Wil and Les felt strongly about, so I expect we can reach
consensus on that.

It also harmonizes how both Redirects and Refs are represented inside an
XRDS document.

I will proceed immediately to write all this up in revision #4 of the
proposal page at http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/RefProcessing. I'll
send email as soon as it's updated.

=Drummond