xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Re: Why CID verification hierarchies follow Refs (was RE: [xri] Nested XRDS documents in Ref processing)

Kermit,

Interestingly enough, I sent an offlist message to Les this morning arguing
that CID verification had to go "one way or the other", i.e., to use your
analogy, in a single XRDS, you could either verify an authority's
"biological children", or its "adopted children" (via a Ref), but not both.

The "Redirect & Ref Processing: Revision #4" proposal currently at
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/RefProcessing, and specifically Ref
Example #1, shows CanonicalID verification only of "biological children",
i.e., once @a*b delegates using a Ref to @x*y, @x*y can only issued
verifiable CanonicalIDs for its biological children.

Your proposal is to reverse that, and say that, when @x*y is delegated to
via a Ref from @a*b, all of @x*y's biological children have been "adopted"
by @a*b, and thus @x*y MUST hand out CanonicalIDs rooted in the @a*b
hierarchy.

I realized when exchanging messages with Les this morning that there is a
practical way for @x*y to do this, which is to maintain a separate HTTP(S)
URI for its $auth*res service endpoint for answering @a*b resolution
queries. (In talking with John about this, he calls it a "multi-homed XRI
authority server".) What this means is that @x has really assigned its child
*y to represent @a*b. Therefore @x knows that all resolution queries
addressed to @x*y must be given CanonicalIDs in the @a*b hierarchy.

That makes sense. What I really like about this proposal is that it
elimiates the problem Les has been complaining about all along, and that
Victor referred to in his message: the lack of consistency between the
CanonicalID verification chain and the XRD chain. Since this rule would now
require that all XRDs that are children of *each other* (i.e., their parent
is the previous XRD in the same XRDS, not in a nested XRDS), then
CanonicalID verification would run directly between every parent/child
relationship in this chain.

I just called Les to discuss it with him, and he explained that this is the
way he's always looked at it: each XRDS is its own CanonicalID verification
chain. For example in the Ref Example #1 currently at
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/RefProcessing, there is an "outer
XRDS" that is the chain for @a*b*c, and an "inner XRDS" that is the chain
for @x*y. Les feels each XRD in each XRDS needs to be child of its parent
XRD. Your proposal does that.

Net net: I am persuaded that to make this change to
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriCd02/RefProcessing as Revision #5. I'll
proceed with that later this afternoon unless there are any loud protests on
the list. Again, we'll use tomorrow's TC telecon to reach FINAL consensus on
this before committing it to ED06.

Thanks again for a wonderfully written and illustrated proposal. You shed a
great deal of sunshine on what's been the last big R&R issue for us to
close.

=Drummond