xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Backtracking

I agree with everything that John and Victor said so far.
1. Authority resolution and service selection are distinct phases. When
authority resolution completes, it is done and returns the result to the
calling function. It might be at the 3rd Ref out of 5 possible Refs, and
there is no way to continue where it left off.
2. During service selection, if you see a Ref, you will spawn a
different authority resolution phase, but that has nothing to do with
the original authority resolution. This child authority resolution phase
also knows nothing about service selection. It completes, and returns
(if successful) the results back to the caller, which is the service
selection function. If this child authority resolution phase fails and
there are more Refs, the service selection function will spawn another
authority resolution phase on the next Ref.

I must admit to not having read any other section than 12. At the rate
that I read, I will only impede the progress so I just learn from John's
distilled summary. If what he says is true of ED06, then we need to
disallow backtracking to the authority resolution phase.

I used the term "spawn" loosely, for all intents and purposes, I just
meant "call a function".

=wil